Planning permission has been approved for the re-development of a former school for the blind in central Edinburgh into 49 homes.
The original C listed Victorian school building, formerly Edinburgh’s Royal Blind School at Craigmillar Park, has been left empty since closure in 2014 but will now be transformed in 49 homes.
Plans were initially submitted by CALA Homes in December 2018 but were later revised following extensive community consultation to reduce building heights, reconfigure key blocks and change some of the materials used.
Craig Lynes, Land Director with CALA Homes (East), said: “We’ve worked closely with neighbours over the past three years to ensure we create a site that brings benefit to the local area. Naturally, we’re thrilled that our plans for this important building have been approved and we’re looking forward to returning the Royal Blind School back to its former glory. We’ve carefully considered our proposals so that we can create a development which quickly becomes part of the fabric and adds to the area.”
Currently, the site comprises the vacant school building, swimming pool, Royal Braille Press and a bungalow. CALA’s plans will see this spilt into 21 apartments created within the school building, a new build flat over the garage, the refurbishment of the gatehouse and 26 new build townhouses.
The Royal Blind School was founded in 1835 and the original School building was built in 1874. It later relocated to Morningside after its two campuses were merged in 2014. The Scottish Braille Press relocated to Robertson Avenue in March 2018.