NHBC names best in British house building at its annual ‘Pride in the Job’ Awards 2016.
Achievements in house building have been celebrated as NHBC announced the four Supreme Winners of the NHBC Pride in the Job Awards 2016 at a gala dinner to an industry audience of 750 people, with special guest comedian Greg Davies.
Beating around 16,000 site managers, the four winners were chosen from four categories representing the breadth and range of the UK’s house-building industry.
Pride in the Job has been running for 36 years, and is operated by NHBC, the UK’s leading warranty provider and standards setter for new homes. The competition is dedicated to recognising site managers who oversee housing schemes from beginning to end.
The winners were:
- John Greggain of L Greggain & Co Ltd won the Small Builder category for Myrtle Meadows, Steynton. John has worked in building industry for 20 years, and previously served as a Royal Marine.
- Steve Walker of C G Fry & Son Ltd was named as the Medium Builder category winner for second year in a row for managing Phase 1 North East Quadrant, Poundbury. Steve has a track record that sits among the very best site managers over the 36 years of the competition
- Russell Bond of Barratt London Aldgate took the Multi-storey Builder category title for managing the build of Aldgate Place, London. Russell has worked in the building industry for 19 years.
- Bill Hughes of Miller Homes North West won the Large Builder category for his management of The Views, Billinge. A veteran of the industry with a career so far spanning 48 years, starting out as a joiner.
Mike Quinton, NHBC Chief Executive, said: “Every year, the NHBC Pride in the Job Awards gives us the chance to celebrate the efforts site managers go to promoting continuous improvement in the quality of new homes, year on year, for homeowners and their families to enjoy. I would like to congratulate everybody recognised in the 2016 competition – they are a credit to our industry, the companies they work for, and of course to themselves. John, Steve, Russell and Bill beat an incredible number of others to win the title, and can be proud to claim to be among the best in the business.”
The runners-up were:
- Large – Paul Cunningham – Taylor Wimpey West Scotland– Dargavel Village, Bishopton
- Multi-storey – Mark Pinder – Midgard Ltd- Newbury Racecourse Central, Newbury
- Medium – Stuart Gillespie – Mactaggart and Mickel Homes Ltd – Greenan Views, Ayr
- Small – Derek Ratcliffe- Landex Ltd – Goodlands, Boxford
Image – NHBC Chief Executive Mike Quinton, Bill Hughes of Miller Homes North West, Russell Bond of Barratt London Aldgate, Steve Walker of C G Fry & Son Ltd, John Greggain of L Greggain & Co Ltd and comedian Greg Davies.