NHBC is launching a series of seminars to increase industry awareness of problems relating to external walls.
The events, which are free and available to all NHBC registered housebuilders, have been arranged following analysis of the large number of claims received over winter 2013/14, due to the heavy storms over this period, which led to a 43% increase in claims compared with normal levels for the same period in previous years.
Around two-thirds of the claims reported were in relation to external wall and roof issues; external walls being the predominant issue with an increase of more than 150% over ‘normal’ levels.
Chris Derzypilskyj, NHBC’s Technical Projects Manager, explained: “Root cause analysis of claims from this period revealed that workmanship issues were the primary cause. Therefore the aim of these seminars is to provide detailed information on best practice, focusing on key areas such as structure, render, cavity trays and DPCs, to provide a national and regional overview of the claims experience as well as feedback on current site experience.”
The seminars will take place throughout September and into October, at venues across the country.
- Tuesday 8th September – Cambridge Belfry, Camborne
- Thursday 10th September – Mercure Abbey Hill, Milton Keynes
- Tuesday 15th September – National Motorcycle Museum, Birmingham
- Wednesday 16th September – Leigh Court, Bristol
- Tuesday 22nd September – Sandown Racecourse
- Thursday 24th September – Thistle Haydock Park, Haydock
- Tuesday 29th September – York Racecourse, York
- Wednesday 30th September – Westerwood Hotel, Cumbernauld
- Thursday 1st October – Hilton Templepatrick, Belfast
For any further information click here.